Thursday, February 3, 2011

Value Added

I've had the opportunity to work for several organizations and interact with a lot of employees. One of the phrases I kept hearing is "I am not paid enough". It is true that some companies don't pay their employees well, but in several occasions, I've had to sit back and almost ask the individual a single question: "what value are you adding to the organization"?

To increase your pay-check, increase your value-check

Everyday I keep asking myself - what value are my adding to the organizations I work for? Some things I do to increase my value-check includes:

1. Looking for opportunities to solve difficult problems
2. Continuous learning - seeking for opportunities to learn more about the businesses I work for
3. Anticipating organizational change, doing a skills and/or knowledge inventory, and looking for ways to acquire the necessary skills or knowledge I need to play in the new world
4. Doing more than what I am paid to do
5. Over-delivering on assignments
6. Learning from my mistakes on the job
7. Praying about challenges I encounter on the job
8. Looking for opportunities to get involved in corporate initiatives, committees, and campaigns
9. Looking for opportunities to help others become the best in what they do (and learning from them)
10. Actively contributing in discussions at work
11. Walking in integrity - what I do when my manager is not looking or checking on me

Now these might not be the same for you as work environments differ in so many ways. I sometimes falter in doing one or more of the aforementioned, but, have learnt to use my failures as manures for more growth.

Have you seen a man who is expert in his business? he will take his place before kings; his place will not be among low persons. ...Prov 22:9 (BBE)

You Are Unique

Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment